Thursday, March 28, 2013

Maundy Thursday

I've never really attended a church before now that followed the litrugical calendar.  I've never really been to the extra services around Easter, except maybe a sunrise service.  Tonight, I had the privelege of participating in a Maundy Thursday service at my church.  What a beautiful time to reflect on the days before the crucifixion of Jesus. 

The minister spoke about the Last Supper, and how Jesus washed the feet of His disciples that night.  I've always heard this story with the focus being on the supper, but tonight there was a different spin to it.  She talked more about Jesus washing the disciples' feet.  Now, anyone who knows me very well knows that I hate feet.  They totally gross me out.  So, I was a little uncomfortable when I realized that was where the sermon was heading!

Anytime that I've ever heard this story, it's always focused on how we should be like Christ, and we should humble ourselves and serve others.  And that is a very good thing, and a very important thing.  Tonights sermon though, was focused on letting Jesus wash our feet.  Letting Him cleanse us so that we can be used for him.  Our feet take us down the narrow way.  Our feet take us to others who need to be reached by Jesus' love. 

It is a humbling thought to think about letting Jesus wash our feet.  That is not a pretty part of our bodies.  That is not generally somewhere we want people touching.  As someone who is grossed out by feet, it is very hard and very humbling to think about anyone washing my feet, but especially Jesus. 

I pray that I will let Jesus cleanse those darkest, ugliest parts of me so that I can be used more fully by Him to love people. 

Thank you Lord, for the opportunity to come together and remember the beautiful sacrifice that You became for us.

1 comment:

Shelby said...

This is a beautiful post, Amy.

The patient I sat yesterday had the Catholic channel on all day and they showed the Pope washing different people's feet. As amazing as that was -- that this man of great power and influence would do that -- when I thought about it more, I was so humbled and awed that Jesus Christ -- the literal Son of God and a part of the Holy Trinity -- did the same thing. I focused on the literal, though.

Thank you for helping me turn my thought process and focus to the even more beautiful aspect of His sacrifice washing us clean and how that is an continual ongoing process.

I guess our thoughts ran in the same direction -- yours just ran deeper.

Beautiful post.