Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Breaking Free

As I sit here tonight, I am thinking back over my Bible study tonight at church.  I am going through Beth Moore's Breaking Free study.  Wow, is it tough!  I've thought for awhile that I needed to do the study, but kept avoiding it because I knew it was gonna be tough.  Little did I know how much so.....


I knew that I had some strongholds that I needed to break-I didn't realized how many I had in my life.  It's quite intimidating to go through and realize what a defeated life I have been living.  Now, I've had some great moments of growth in the last few years, and I am so grateful that the Lord has given those to me, but man oh man do I have a lot of work left to do. 


As I start to realize all of these strongholds & take a painful hard look at them, I wonder how did I get to this place?  I wish that I could just give them all up at one time to God and be done with them.  Is that how it works?  I don't know.  I look back through my life at moments when God has really revealed Himself to me & really helped me over a big hurdle, and it seems like it's usually only one thing at a time that He strips away.  Maybe He knows I can't handle more than that.  Maybe I have a lot more layers than I realized of "stuff"  and strongholds that need to be removed, and it's gonna take awhile for them all to go. 


I'm finding myself crawling up in fear, as I usually tend to do when hard things come or when I know I need to change something in my life.  Oh wait, that's a stronghold, isn't it....  I'm trying so hard to believe that God is gonna help me get through this study & not quit.  But not only that, but to truly be a conqueror when I finish.  I've done studies, read books, nodded my head & said what good stuff that is-I should work on that, or that's what I need to do.  Then I stay in the same place, and I don't actually make the change.  Change is scary!!!  Even though I live in bondage & I'm miserable, it's what I know.  I hear Beth Moore say it's so much better on the other side where there is true freedom, and I have to believe that's true, because it's not exactly peachy over on this side, but it's familiar. 


This study is so good, & I know that I need to break free.  I believe in God.  But do I believe God?  Do I believe that He can change me & His intention isn't to harm me through this process but to make me more like Him?  Do I believe His promises?  Do I believe that He loves me & wants to fellowship with me?  That's why He created me?  I believe.  Help my unbelief.

1 comment:

Shelby said...

I think you're brave to be doing that study and, to be that brave, it's gotta be a God thing leading you to it. I want to see you break free and live in the freedom of who you are in Christ NO MATTER WHAT that means.

And it's kinda cool that we're both dealing with the believing in God vs believing God thing...